1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Area: Possible improvements in Trainer selection

Discussion in 'HRSC Suggestions' started by BrianH, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianH

BrianH Highly Respected Member

I have played about with trainer selection in the Universal Area.
    1) Am I correct in thinking that either all or just a single trainer can be selected but not a group of trainers
    2) I find that listing trainers in alphabetical order using first and second letters of the Forename or Christian name makes them quite difficult to find. Would it be possible to list them using surnames followed by letters.

I would like to be able look at the profitability of a group of trainers for a particular month of the year and a particular race type at BFSP.

We have almost 2 years to research from at present. Is it possible to import a year like 2011or 2010 into the database to increase the numbers?

2. Dr Who

Dr Who Active Member

From my understanding under, like any of the subsections, you can select any number of trainers. Just click Omit All and then go down the checkboxes clicking any of those you dont want omitted.

3. Ratz4Racing

Ratz4Racing Cheeky Monkey Does Stuff

Brian's right. I specifically imposed the limit to selections of either ALL the trainers or ONE of the trainers in that area.

To be honest, I cannot understand why you would want to look at a "group of trainers" for one particular period in time. What would that tell you?

I suspect that you would still end up breaking them down individually.

I do agree that the way the trainers are listed at the moment is cumbersome and it's something I intend to take a look at in the future to see if there's anything I can do about it. As always, though, I have to prioritise and other recent suggestions have taken precedence. It's the type of thing that sounds easy but it isn't, really. How do you tell the computer which part of a string of random letters, spaces and some punctuation marks are a person's surname? It involves a fairly complex regular expression.

I have no plans at this moment to increase the amount of data held on the database but it could be done.

Sorry for rushed response. Thursday is walking day and I'm off out in a minute.

4. Dr Who

Dr Who Active Member

Oh you're right. I'd just assumed (without trying) when you added two or more from being omitted you'd get data for the ones selected.
    As you don't in its current form, I'd agree with Brian and that it would be a useful inclusion. The reason is that if in your research (using the new table layout for trainers,say) you decide to narrow your system to ten trainers, it would be nice to see the overall profitability for those ten.
    That'll teach me to comment without trying too :muted:

5. BrianH

BrianH Highly Respected Member

I would look to see the performance of a group of trainers at BFSP if I read a report on trainers to follow for, say, a perticular month for, say. Chase Hcps. I can get the SP profit on Horseracebase but not profit or loss at BFSP

6. Ratz4Racing

Ok. The reason why I restricted the trainers and jockeys in the universal area is to prevent people from accidentally selecting everything and then clicking "Submit" because, obviously, what that would output is everything in the database, would take an age and would cause strain on the server only to tell you what you'd already guess... that it would result in an enormous loss.

I understand now why you would want the addition but I would still suggest that all the tools are there for you to do what you want in a roundabout way (go through each trainer individually). Going forward, you'd enter the trainers into the Selection Entry Area to monitor their progress.

The suggestion has been noted, however, and it may be possible to work it by putting a limit on the number of results the Universal Area throws up in order to avoid a full output of the database.

7. Ratz4Racing

Just realised my rationale for not allowing multiple trainers is absolute bollocks. A user CAN go right through the entire database as it is if they so wish.

I'll sort this trainer thing.

Will probably have to put some kind of limit on the output though.

Won't be in the next few days though.

All suggestions still welcome in the meantime.

8. Ratz4Racing

You should find that the Universal Area is now working ok for Back Bets (lay bets not done yet).

You will notice that it doesn't let you select either all the jockeys or all the trainers. You do have to be fairly specific.

However, if you select a trainer (or some trainers) and don't select any jockeys then it will show you all the jockeys (this also works the other way around).

It's a bit weird but I had to do something to prevent people from attempting to display the entire database (it would probably cause all kinds of problems - slowing it down etc).

I haven't tested it extensively so please do have a mess with it and let me know if you notice it behaving strangely.

9. Ratz4Racing

Have changed this to something of a compromise. All queries are limited to outputs of 10,000.

10. Big Bang Theory

Big Bang Theory Highly Respected Member

Just noticed you're addressing the trainer alphabetical thing. If anybody knows where David Barron is situated in the list, please let me know!

11. Ratz4Racing

TD Barron. ;)

Not sure I am addressing the trainer names at the moment. I have a little "to do" list going on and that particular job is somewhere between "reading War And Peace" and "climbing Mount Everest".

If you look at the wide variety of syntax used for trainer names, you might begin to appreciate the difficulty.

A A Howard
    A Bailey
    A Chaille-Chaille
    A De Mieulle
    A de Royer-Dupre
    A L T Moore
    A P O'Brien
    Adrian Costello

And we're not even out of the A's yet.

It's not even a case of telling the computer that it's the last string in the string because names such as D McCain Jnr shove a spanner in the works.

Probably the best way would be for me to go through every trainer and manually give them a "restructured" name which puts the surname first.

However, with over 2,000 of the buggers, you can perhaps understand why I might not relish the task.

I am aware that the trainer and jockey names are displayed in a cumbersome manner at the moment, though and something will need to be done somewhere down the line.

12. Ratz4Racing

If everyone's happy with this, I'll lock this thread on Monday morning (just so I know that it's now resolved).

There is a new thread for the way the trainer/jockey names are displayed HERE.

13. Stokie

Stokie Super Poster

must admit i don't bother with quite a bit on HRSC ie Trainer/Jockey/ Global/ Universal/Dobbing
    need to start and take a closer look

14. Ratz4Racing

At the end of the day, HRSC was initially supposed to be just a way to keep records of systems you're creating/monitoring and I think it does a decent enough job at that.

All this other stuff was "bolted on" at the request of specific users but not everyone will find a use for it.

Personally, I find that I don't even have time to sit there and play with it all very much.

I'm told it's all pretty useful, though! :)

15. phuket

phuket Highly Respected Member

I have found the Universal Area quite useful ~ as mentioned before I think the ability to also sort by Course Winner would be interesting.
    The Dobbing Machine, in most of my systems its not worthwhile to Dob, but will give an idea at what courses the horses run well.

16. Ratz4Racing

The Universal Area is completely knackered at the moment. I've just broken it. Messing about with these trainer/jockey names. Thought I had it sussed but it only made things worse.

Bear with me, I'll have it fixed soon.

Note to self: Make backups.

17. Ratz4Racing

OK. Should be working again now...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.