1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next suggestion

Discussion in 'HRSC Suggestions' started by Dr Who, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Who

Dr Who Active Member

Now that the filters are working well (and a huge thanks for implementing these as I'm sure many members are finding them very useful) perhaps I can suggest another based on them.

I use data not included in HRSC ( and couldn't be as its live market data) to make my selections. The systems on their own produce a good return but this is vastly improved using a couple of the filters which I save as Presets.

What would be really helpful is to have some indication if a current selection is within a Preset or not at the time I enter it. This could be accomplished either by colour coding or a mouse-over box which gives the info if there is more than one Preset.

I appreciate the implementation may not be trivial but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

2. Ratz4Racing

Ratz4Racing Cheeky Monkey Does Stuff

Hi Dr Who,

What kind of filters do you mean? As you'll know, I've gone some way towards the kind of thing you describe with the "Check Your Presets" option in the Selection Entry Area but this obviously only works AFTER you've made a selection.

If you could be a little more specific about what you want such highlighting to be dependent on, I will be in a better position to tell you if it can be done or not.

3. Dr Who

Dr Who Active Member

LOL. What a twat I am. I didn't realise you'd already done what I have asked for. Your "Check Your Presets" is yet another way of presenting the data. Thanks a lot.

4. Ratz4Racing

Excellent.

I did it that way rather than on the actual selection entry area because I wanted as little "behind the scenes" data processing as possible on the Selection Entry Area as this would slow it down.

It's an area I now use daily for my own systems and presets and I find it works well.

5. Dr Who

Dr Who Active Member

Yes, I'm sure its most helpful and for me will negate the need to go to another site to see how my selections fit in with the filters.
    There is another suggestion I've been keeping back but it could involve a lot of maths work, if you're interested, and if you've got the time.

Say you have a Back system. There are some that never make a profit because not enough of the selections are winners. However, the selection technique may find horses that do very well in their races and they are traded at a significantly lower price than BSP. It could be that the system would be very profitable by backing all the selections at BSP then trading out at, say, 60% lower. What would be great is to be able to look at the system profitability using trading out at 20%,30%,40% etc up to 100% rather than just looking at the profit assuming you only make a profit if the selection wins. By 20% I mean ((Trading Price-1)-(BSP-1))*100/(BSP-1) rather than a simple twenty percent of the BSP, which includes the stake. And trading the correct amount for level profit if it wins or loses. Hopefully you can follow this.

6. Ratz4Racing

I'm pretty sure that HRSC's Dobbing Machine will provide you with a decent indicator for what you're describing.

Have you taken a look at it? It's nowhere near as detailed in terms of reporting as the main System Testing Area but it should be able to provide you with an "at a glance" idea of whether your idea is worth pursuing further.

Please take a look at the Dobbing Machine and let me know if it's providing the kind of output you'd like to see.

Dr Who likes this.
  7. Dr Who

Dr Who Active Member

OK. I thought this was just for DOB bets but see it isn't. Lesson is - never assume. I'll take a closer look.

8. Dr Who

Dr Who Active Member

Well, you can create something quite close to what I was after in your DOB section and it confirms really what I deep down knew - you're lucky if you're able to find a price that's out of line but infinitely luckier to find value twice for the same horse in the same race. So, for my systems at least, trading out isn't going to find greater profitability. Worth a try. Thanks and again you're ahead of the game.

9. Ratz4Racing

To be honest, Dr Who, this is why I haven't really put too much time and effort into the Dobbing Area.

This Back/Lay thing is an interesting idea but I have yet to find a situation whereby it makes a greater profit than simply letting all selections ride.

I'm sure there will be savvy traders out there who will be able to prove me wrong but I would suggest that they achieve their results by using far more sophisticated methods than simply "lay it if the price reaches x or x% of backed price".

In short, the Dobbing Area is there for HRSC users to satisfy their curiosity but, once satisfied, I think most will arrive at a similar conclusion to your own. :)

10. Stokie

Stokie Super Poster

how about a going filter reckon it could of use especially now we are getting a lot of heavy going

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.